A spicy and buttery twist on traditional grits
|Prep Time: 20 minutes||Servings: 2|
- 1 bag of (no butter) popcorn
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (Banner Butter)
- 1 Capsco Smoky Infuser
- 3 cups of water
- Smoked Out Pepper Flakes for additional heat (optional)
- Cook your popcorn kernels for the recommended amount of time (pour unpopped kernels out of top of the bag if possible)
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil (with a Capsco Smoky Infuser) and then take it down to a simmer (remove The Smoky Infuser before next step)
- Pour popped popcorn into simmering water, submerge, and let it sit for 30-45 seconds
- Strain the popcorn
- Put popcorn into a food mill or thin strainer (should be roughly toothpick size holes).. now it's time to mash! You should now have a grits-like texture and look to your popcorn. You can also press popcorn through a fine colander if you do not have a food mill--we bought ours on Amazon for pretty cheap.
- Add 1.5 tbsp butter to a pan, heat it to medium-low heat, and add in your popcorn grits after it has melted.
- Throw in another 1.5 tbsp of butter and sprinkle kosher salt to taste. Mix this around and then you are ready to serve!
Additional garnishing ideas: Pepper, Smoked Out Pepper Flakes, Cheese, Caramelized Onions, Roasted Peppers